This page is for University of Alabama students and alumni who are applying to medical, dental, or optometry school for the entering class of 2020 also known as Cycle 2020.
Students will NOT be allowed to schedule a committee interview until their application file with our office is complete. A completed application contains the following:
- Signed Acknowledgement Form from the Mandatory Applicant Meetings
- ALL of your recommendation letters
- Your completed UA Pre-Application (which includes a draft of your personal statement)
- A professional photo of yourself
- Completed Grade Trends Worksheet
These items are all due by March 29, 2019. No exceptions.
Committee Letter vs Letter of Support
- Committee Letter: A Committee Letter is a letter authored by a pre-health committee or pre-health advisor and intended to represent your institution’s evaluation of you. Our committee letters packets also include the additional letters of recommendation written by the faculty/organizations/health care providers that you had sent to our office in support of your application.
- Letter of Support: A Letter of Support is a packet or set of letters assembled and distributed by your institution (UA). The letter packet includes your name and application IDs on it and has all of the letters of recommendation that you had sent to our office attached electronically to it. In contrast to a Committee Letter, a Letter of Support does not include a comprehensive, evaluative letter from the Health Professions Advising Committee.
Students who have not submitted all the required application materials to our office by March 29th at 4:45pm will receive a letter of support instead of a committee letter from the Office of Health Professions Advising.
Our office will conduct committee interviews April 22–May 11, 2019. These are our ONLY interview dates for the 2020 application season. In order to be considered for the interviews, you MUST have attended one of the Mandatory Applicant Meetings and submitted all components of your UA application packet by March 29, 2019 at 4:45 p.m.
If you do not meet the qualifications for a committee interview but would like for our office to send your letters (with no committee letter) we will still do so. If this is your choice you will still have to fill out the UA Pre-Application and submit the appropriate information so that we can upload your letter packet (please see individual sections for required information).
OHPA Letter Submission Policy
Office of Health Professions Advising will send recommendation letters only for the purposes of:
- Application to that type of professional school identified by the student on the OHPA pre-application.
- Application to graduate professional schools
- Please note: OHPA will not submit letters to prospective employers or non-health profession schools. These letters are intended for professional school programs ONLY.
September 30th is the last day our office will submit Committee Letters and Letters of Support for first-time applicants and re-applicants for consideration. All Committee Letters and Letters of Support will not be uploaded to any application service or school by our office beyond the date of September 30th, 2019. We are excited to work with each of you! If you have any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Health Professions Advising