Do you love animals? A career as a veterinarian may be for you! Doctors of Veterinary Medicine (DVM’s) are dedicated to animal welfare. Veterinarians diagnose and treat diseases and injuries in animals. They also prevent the spread of disease from animals to humans. The majority of veterinarians are in private small, large or mixed animal clinical practice.
See the University of Alabama Veterinary School Admissions Guide for more information.
What Do Veterinarians Do?
- Examine animals to diagnose their health problems
- Treat and dress wounds
- Perform surgery on animals
- Test for and vaccinate against diseases
- Operate medical equipment, such as x-ray machines
- Advise animal owners about general care, medical conditions, and treatments
- Prescribe medication
- Euthanize animals