Dentists diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases, injuries, and malformations of the teeth and mouth. They improve a patient’s appearance by using a variety of cosmetic dental procedures; perform surgical procedures such as implants, tissue grants, and extractions; educate patients how to take better care of their teeth and prevent oral disease; teach future dentists and dental hygienists; and perform research directed to developing new treatment methods and improving oral health. They also administer anesthetics and write prescriptions for antibiotics and other medications.
In 2015 the US Department of Labor cited dentistry as the #1 Best Career in Healthcare (coming in second to being an orthodontist).
For more information about dental school prerequisites, the DAT, and other useful information, please see the University of Alabama Dental School Admissions Guide.
Top Dental Schools Attended by UA Grads
Below are the top 10 schools attended by UA pre-dental students:
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry
- University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
- University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry
- Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health
- Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine
- Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
- University of Louisville School of Dental Medicine
- Howard University College of Dentistry