For many, the pursuit of a career in medicine has been a longstanding aspiration. Some students enter college having known for many years of their desire to earn a medical degree. Other students come to the same realization much later in their academic careers. Whether the idea of becoming a physician is a new one to you or a goal you have sought for many years, the Health Professions Advising Office is here to facilitate your academic and co-curricular preparations for medical school.
There are two types of medical training programs that you can complete in order to become a practicing physician: allopathic medicine (MD) and osteopathic medicine (DO).
Medical schools evaluate applicants on a range of competencies and assess their applicants holistically. These competencies fall into four groups: interpersonal, intrapersonal, thinking and reasoning, and science.
Please see the University of Alabama Medical School Admissions Guide for information about medical school prerequisite courses, the MCAT, and more.
Top Medical Schools Attended by UA Grads
- UAB School of Medicine
- The University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
- Saint Louis University School of Medicine
- University of Mississippi School of Medicine
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University College of Medicine
- Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents